Sunday, October 7, 2012

Visalus 90-day Challenge

"I don't trust shakes"
"What happens when you stop drinking them?"
"I'd rather do it the natural way, diet and exercise."
"I have got to do something different, this isn't working."

I have said all of the above within the last month. Now I have jumped on the Visalus wagon. If you haven't heard of it, it's a brand of shakes for weight-loss, and the company offers prizes and awards for success.  Everyone is willing to work hard for a prize, right? I didn't even know about the prizes when I finally decided to try it.  I just knew that "the natural way," diet and exercise, wasn't working for me. Or else I wasn't working it. So, by the advice of a friend who recently lost a lot of weight, and is continuing to lose, I decided to give it a try.  Today is my day 1.  It's a 90-day challenge, which puts me into early January (if the world doesn't end first).

I don't think I have eaten enough today.  I have felt physically hungry most of the day. I can't exactly BLAME the shakes, it's not like "Oh you're only drinking shakes, no wonder you're starving." I mostly blame myself, for thinking that whenever I'm not full, I'm hungry.  There is no in-between for my brain.  I have to get used to the feeling of "satisfied," which currently equates to "hunger" in my brain.

I also may have eaten a little too little today.  Breakfast was just a plain shake (shake mix, almond milk, ice), so I could taste what it is like on its own.  It's sweet, a lot of people liken it to Cake Batter, and a TEENY bit gritty, but if you've ever tried Whey Protein Powder, this is nothing on the gritty scale. That was after 45 minutes of cardio at the gym. (Also working on getting back to the gym regularly). Did not eat again until lunchtime, where I had a shake made with the almond milk, frozen strawberries, and half a frozen banana.  And steamed edamame also for lunch.  And then we went to Wal-Mart, where the deli smelled so good!!! I did find that although I was hungry, the displays of cookies and chips and other usual deliciousness did not tempt me. Upon coming home, I had three slices of turkey lunchmeat, rolled up. And that's it.  For those of you keeping track at home, that about 575 calories in. 765 calories burned at the gym this morning.  I'm in the deficit.  This diet highly promotes frequent small protein snacks, and I'm under-prepared for today, but I'm ready for the week ahead.  I have chicken strips to be grilled, and made individual servings of tuna salad and chicken salad.

Dinner tonight should help me fill the deficit, although it sort of seems weird to eat 600+ calories for dinner just to make up for the day. I have to even out my snacking calories.  I'll get there. There has to be a learning curve, right?

Dinners for the week include:

Tonight: Grilled cube steak, grilled potatoes, and brussel sprouts (I like them!)

Monday: Turkey meatloaf with spinach and goat cheese, brown rice, cabbage

Tuesday: Chicken stir-fry (chicken, squash, asparagus, peas, onions, corn, bell pepper) with brown rice

Wednesday: Broiled Swai (or in a packet) with lemon, asparagus, brown rice

Thursday: Spanish Rice (ground turkey, brown rice, salsa), and Squash

Friday: Spaghetti Squash and zucchini with ground turkey and spaghetti sauce

Saturday: If I stick to the plan all week I want to go to the diner and get broiled flounder and the salad bar.

Upon review, I hope I don't get too tired of brown rice this week, or run out!

The hardest part of this diet for me will be the lack of dairy. I am a giant cheese lover, and I am sure I will go through cheese withdrawal. It also limits wheat products, pork, shellfish, and sweeteners.  Otherwise, it doesn't feel TOO restrictive, and once I get into the swing of things, I think I'm going to great.  My I hope....

I will try to post a weekly update.  Paul has hidden my scale until next Sunday, and I think I'll wait for 30 days to take update photos, so I'll post them then.

1 comment:

Laura Madron said...

I think you're going to do awesome. I know a lot of people expect me to say "ughhh bodybyvi" and rattle off the things I don't like about it. But I also know that people can say the same about my shake and after a year it isn't working for me the same way it was when I first started it. So to be honest, I'm really rooting for this to work for you. Not just as a friend, but as a person who's done the shake thing, had it be successful, and still had people roll their eyes about it.