Monday, July 23, 2012

I'm starvin' like Marvin!

Stuck on a treadmill, in a revolving door, trying to walk "up" on a "down" escalator. That's how I feel with my weight loss efforts. And rightfully so, because I've been BAD lately. Okay, not gorging on chocolate cake and  potato chips and McDonalds chicken sandwiches (ooh yum), but my diet is not the path to weight-loss right now. I think my candida has been flaring up too, and that's thanks to my diet as well. I pack my lunch at work 95% of the time, and for the past week I was packing turkey and ham sandwiches on onion kaiser rolls. And a baggy of kettle-cooked chips.  Not healthy, but portion-controlled, which is the least I try to do. Dinners last week include (vegetarian) Chik'n patty sandwichs (on buns), pizza, meatballs in sweet and sour sauce, and I forget what else... I ate a lot of watermelon and canteloupe for snacks, and I started eating greek yogurt again for snacks.  But all of the above includes a lot of carbs and sugars, and those things kick the candida into overdrive, and the result is a feeling of insatiable hunger. Friday and Saturday mornings I woke up at 1:30 am each day, having to use the bathroom (again, probably a result of poor food choices), and then feeling ABSOLUTELY starved as I lay in bed and try to get back to sleep. Painfully hungry.  But I knew that I WASN'T hungry, that I had no reason to feel hungry. And I did not get up and eat, because midnight snacking is one bad habit that I don't want to start. Again.  (When I lived with my parents, my bedroom was part of an addition on the back of the house, and I would have to walk through the kitchen in order to get to the bathroom, and THEN I would occasionally grab a snack and eat it when I got back in bed. Those were the days when Little Debbie and TastyKakes were a staple in the house, too.)
By Saturday morning, my body was screaming "That's enough!" I was starving hungry, and needed protein, but being at work I didn't have time to prepare myself any sort of protein, nor had I packed the right type of fuel my body needed.  I sufficed with a Fiber One bar and yogurt, and for lunch I went and got myself a Cobb salad from Quiznos. Again, not the best choice, but it appealed to me much more than the meatballs and rice I had packed that day.
Saturday night was date-night, and we went out for crabs. I LOVE crabs.  I can eat 2 dozen or more by myself, easily. Plus, picking crabs burns calories, right? Anyway, it was great. And there was a vanilla milkshake on the ride home.
Are we seeing a pattern yet??
Yesterday I did get back to the gym, but we went to the State Fair, where I drank sweet tea and had a deep-fried candy bar. I don't care what kind of diet I'm on, and I am perpetually "watching what I eat," I WILL have a deep-fried candy bar once a year at the Fair. I am taking my sister to the fair today, and likely she will want a candy bar too. Will I be able to resist? Doubtful.
But I am READY to get back to eating grilled protein and vegetables.  After today, I guess.  We are having breakfast-for-dinner tonight, and I've already invited my dad and sister, so that plan can't change.

Gym-time yesterday: completed 5K on the elliptical, approx 40 minutes. I know this isn't comparable to walking a 5K, but I know I'll be okay when the time comes.  I will not be running this 5K.  I also did 50 squats, chin-ups and dips with 145# assistance, 5 reps x 2 sets each.

Wow, all this talk about food has made me hungry. Breakfast time for me!

1 comment:

Ashlee Christopher said...

I am so proud of you! Keep up the good work and guess what else you should check out my blog I may be able to help you along the way!

http://abpetite.blogspot.com/